MWH Treatment achieves CEMARS Gold for Carbon Footprint
MWH Treatment have achieved a CEMARS Gold Certificate for our Carbon Footprint and have exceeded our target for reducing carbon emissions. We measure and report on our company carbon footprint annually, and for the last 5 years have been working towards a 12% carbon emissions intensity reduction.
At the end of this 5 year target period we have achieved a fantastic 24.56% reduction in emissions intensity, as well as a 31.74% reduction in absolute total emissions surpassing our original targets. It is testament to our incredible hard work and focus on being a Carbon Reducer.
Achieving CEMARS (Carbon Emissions Management and Reduction Scheme) Gold Award demonstrates our commitment to being a Responsible Business and reducing the impacts of our activities upon the environment and certifies we have been a Carbon Reducer for 9 years.
We achieved this reduction through a combination of multiple different measures:
- Use of Skype and Teams chat, and videoconferencing to avoid travel
- Review of van tracker data including driving behaviours and rewarding good performance
- Efficient Driving module included in mandatory online driver training
- Implementation of Green Travel Plans
- Increased uptake in selection of hybrid vehicles as company cars
- Encouraged use of trains and public transport over driving and flying
- Increased use of fuel-efficient accommodation and plant on site
The biggest contributors to our carbon footprint are fuel used in plant and equipment on site (34%), and fuel used in vehicles for business travel, including company cars (26%), vans (17%) and employee owned vehicles used for business (12.7%). All areas where further improvements can be made thus, we are currently developing a roadmap for further reducing our carbon emissions over the next 10 years, in line with our Clients’ Net Zero Carbon ambitions.
Care of the environment is central to MWH Treatment’s purpose and we will be aiming for a decade of being a Carbon Reducer in 2021.